It’s that time of year to spread good cheer! Here are twelve great holiday gift ideas that say “I love and support you!” — including some awesome gay apparel to don!
1. Who doesn’t love the Human Rights Campaign? This year they have a ton of great holiday gifts on their website, but my personal favorite is the Ho Ho Homosexual T-Shirt!
2. Another great gift to give is New York Times Bestselling Author Suzanne Brockmann’s book, All Through The Night. This mainstream romance novel with a hero and a hero tells the story of out gay (kickass!) FBI agent Jules Cassidy’s Christmastime wedding to the man of his dreams, Hollywood heartthrob Robin Chadwick. Bonus: all of Brockmann’s proceeds from this book go to MassEquality, the organization that helped bring equal marriage to Massachusetts. (Full disclosure: Suzanne is actually my Mom; but I would be recommending this great book even without the conflict of interest!)
3. If you’ve got a non-fiction reader on your holiday shopping list, George Takei’s, Oh Myyy! There goes the Internet is the way to go. This fun book talks about this amazing LGBT advocate’s rise in the social media world in a thought-provoking and humorous way! (And who doesn’t want to support George?!)
4. Another thoughtful gift is a donation in the name of a loved one for the Trevor Project. The Trevor Project has been helping prevent suicides for as long as I can remember, and a donation is a wonderful gift for those who have everything — and for LGBT kids everywhere. (Win/win!)
5. A really great stocking stuffer is the DVD of my latest movie, The Perfect Wedding. This sweet little boy-meets-boy romantic comedy is a feel-good family-friendly story, perfect for watching after a long day with those you love. It also stars Kristine Sutherland (aka Buffy’s mom) and James Rebhorn (Carrie’s dad from Homeland)
6. If the person you’re buying for likes the news, then a subscription to the Advocate is perfect! It’s an amazing magazine that touches on all the current LGBT issues! Plus, it’s a gift that keeps giving all year long. You can choose a physical copy via the mail or a digital copy for the iPad or Kindle!
7. An always thoughtful (and economical!) present is a gift card to Starbucks, a company that has long supported the LGBT community! Plus their menu is filled with multiple options for even the pickiest of latte drinkers! Mmmmmm! Equality tastes so nice!
8. For the “wandering gift getter” (and for gift-givers with a budget the size of Santa’s waistline!), how about a wonderful LGBT-friendly trip? (Bonus! You can go, too!) Orbitz has done a great job of compiling an awesome list of places to visit where you know you’ll be safe to hold the hand of the person you love!
9. If you’re ready for it, then a great gift for that special someone is an engagement ring! Or even just a piece of pride jewelry if you’re not ready to tie the knot just yet! Proposition Love has a wide selection of jewelry and was founded on the principal that love is love. Now who doesn’t love that?
10. Do your friends and family swell with pride? A great gift for them is a PFLAG shirt or bag! They can now wear their pride for you on their sleeve!
11. How about the NOH8 travel mug? Not only does it support a group that fights homophobia, but it also keeps your hot beverage warm! (You can put your Starbucks drink in it!)
12. Last but not least, another love story for your special someone to read by the yuletide hearth, to make them feel toasty warm inside and out! Alexis Hall’s Glitterland is a beautifully written, sweet, spicy, sexy, funny, thought-provoking, uplifting m/m romance novel, available in print and in all e-formats from Riptide Press.